Sewing is an art which is fitted to adjust ourselves to a new cloth. How do you select a pattern and adjust a stitch width or length? You can select a pattern to adjust a stitch width or length by choosing either length stitches or width stitches. Length stitches is used for heavier weight fabrics and width stitches for decorative and zigzag fabrics. A stitch has generally three attributes which are types (for instance; straight, zigzag and decorative); width (horizontal space which a stitch occupies); length (distance between needle entries in the fabric).
In addition to, sewing machine you can find it, may be either industrial sewing machine (computerized) or extremely old machine (mechanical). In case of both type machine, you can find out a dial or a slider or an LCD menu to identification of adjustment of stitch style. There are a bundle types of stitch available are:
How do you select a pattern and adjust a stitch width or length?
The machine generally produces a straight stitch and a zigzag stitch pattern. You have to know that which pattern you will choose? Width or length? Firstly, you have to know how could you select a pattern.
To transform between stitches per inch and mm, just test these simple formulae:
Stitches per inch = 25.4 ÷ stitch length (in mm)
Stitch length (in mm) = 25.4 ÷ stitches per inch
What is stitch length?
Stitch length is principally measured how long each stitch is stitched by your sewing machine.
How could you adjust stitch length?
Stitch length is mostly dependent on the machine which measures on a dial or a slider or an LCD menu that may adjust the stitch length. Typically, it ranges from 0 to 7.0 mm varies on home based sewing machine. Stitch length which adjust the feed dogs, regulate how much fabric is dragged with each stitch. In case of longer stitch, more fabric is pulled and shorter stitch length, generally less fabric is pulled. If you have a mechanical sewing machine that means non-computerized, there is classically a dial with either “length” written following to it or a dashed line either going from short dashes to longer dashes on the front of the sewing machine. In case of computerized machine, there are either buttons to press to escalate and reduce the length of the stitch or a choice in somewhere on the touch screen attached to the machine.
What is stitch width?
Stitch width is simply a horizontal space which a stitch claims between needle entries in the fabric.
How could you adjust stitch width?
Stitch width has become a key factor in case of zigzag and decorative stitches style. If you sew typically zigzag or decorative stitches, you have ensure that your machine uses both stitch length and its stitch width to make magic. It generally ranges from 0.5, 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0 mm etc.
Which stitch length ought to be used?
Different prescription may have different view to use stitch length but the following prescription must be standard if you follow this:
|Which is best stitch||Stitch length (mm)||Stitches per inch|
|Standard Stitch Length||2.5 – 3.0||8 – 10|
|Basting stitch||5.0 – 7.0||4 – 5|
|Stay-stitching||1.5 – 2.0||12 – 8|
|Medium weight||3.0 – 3.5||7 – 8|
|heavy weight||3.5 – 4.0||6 – 7|
|Quilt piecing||1.5||16 – 18|
|Machine quilting||2.5 – 3.0||8 – 10|
|Free motion quilting||0||Maximum|
The reasons to be changed the length of stitches:
- A long stitch can be used for better work of heavier weight fabrics.
- Finer threads is essential for shorter stitch and think threads for longer stitch.
- Shorter stitch length works better and lays smooth curves as well as long stitch can be made curve angular.
- Longer stitch works quick sew in case of basting if you want to remove, it easy and If you want to use, it gathered.
- A longer stitch generally express like professional.
- Lightweight and sheer fabrics claim a shorter stitch length to hinder prevent pulling and gathering.
- A longer stitch can lessen the number of holes punched into the fabric in case of sewing leather.
If occurs uneven stitches:
If there occurs uneven stitches can be initiated by a number of causes. You have to incase of stitches don’t work even:
- First Step: Are you separating the fabric through, rather than letting the feed dogs detach the fabric through? The common mistake are done by beginners. Don’t do your hand behind the needle and force the fabric. Let the feed dogs typically do the work!
- Second Step: If the presser foot is occasionally too low, the feed dogs won’t get a good grip on the fabric. Raise the presser foot pressure.
- Third Step: Loose upper thread tension can cause uneven stitching. Check how the thread is acceptably threaded through the tension disc and augment the tension.
- Fourth Step: Check and make sure that the bobbin is threaded appropriately.
- Fifth Step: alter the needle.
How could you measure stitch quality?
- Do you regularly clean your bobbin?
- Do you ensure the quality of thread when you use thread?
- What kinds of needle do you use and its size?
Let’s be careful:
- You have to make sure that your machine is clean, settle down the needle appropriately, quality thread and stitch length standard.
- You have to secure the starting point and ending point of a stitching line of your product in lieu of backstitching. It will be helpful to shorten the stitch length. It is easily told that shorter stitch is a stronger stitch.
- You will have to reduce your stitch patter length to about 1.5mm.
- If you get to stitch topstitching, you will increase the stitch length which results in prettier stitching style.
- You have to choose right fabric to ensure proper fit stitch. The fabric which temporarily hold two layers to gather a section of garment so that you can upgrade the stitch length.
Sources of the Information: